Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Looking For Inspiration!!!!!

I always grab the camera as I fly out the door. When we are out and about, I am always on the look out for "blog material" something that moves or inspires me. It's usually a bird, a flower or the landscape. A pretty pond, lake or river. I need to capture it all in print, so I never forget it. Yesterday we went out for a sandwich and to pick up a few things at the food store. Big day out......right. On our way home we passed a farm that we always pass on that route. I always turn to look at it, I always close my eyes to invision all the secrets this old barn holds. The farm is home for an assortment of farm animals, the usual suspects, but yesterday for the first time I spotted these guys.........

Two Black Vultures

We passed without enough time to get a picture so I made the hubs go back. He didn't really want to but he never gives me a hard time, so he turned around. I told him I see Turkey Vultures (red heads) all the time but I have never seen these. I have a "nose" for these things, good thing I trust my instincts. My trusty resource book tells me these guys are a rare find in my area, New Jersey. "The Black Vulture can be found all year round in the south but is rarely seen in the north. It has legal protection under the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Size 25 inches with a wingspan of 59 inches." Even though they aren't "pretty", they are grand in size and were quite a sight to behold.

one on top of the barn....one in flight......

on the roof of the barn.......

there is just something about this barn.......
old and mysterious,
the untold stories it must hold!!!!!

Good thing we didn't pick up ice cream
definitely would have melted!!!!!!

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

haha! I love it that the hubby indulges you! We see both turkey and black vultures here all year 'round. Glad you got to see those guys!

Dawn said...

I'm so glad you took your camera!!! These are really good captures- something I may never get to see for real!

Kerri Farley said...

I think vultures are sooooo neat!